Monday, April 2, 2012

Vaandrigsdrif

.

As you know, I travel between Cape Town and George (400km+) four times a week. On this road, more or less half way just West of Swellendam, there is a sign called "Vaandrigsdrif".



I used to wonder about this sign when I was in the Air Force based nearby in the early 90's already. The term "Vaandrig" was used as a rank in the SA Navy back then and I always wondered how a Navy rank ended up on a road sign hundreds of kilometeres from the ocean.

I never researched it, but driving past this sign several times a week it peaked my interest again. And not so much the sign, but where it leads...



In any adventure traveller's heart lies the same age old question: "I wonder what lies beyond that hill?"

I decided that one day, when I have enough time, I will go and have a look!

More weeks passed; a chance to explore this road never presenting itself. I did stop one beautiful day to take the above two pictures. That was the 1st of March 2012.


Fast forward one month...


Today things just fell into place. I got away early, had little traffic and changed cars in Cape Town earlier than usual. The car I was supposed to get was unavailable and I got this Ford Ranger Wildtrak instead. The perfect vehicle!



At last. I had time and the right wheels to do it with. Today would be the day.




.

No comments: